Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Disaster Averted!

Phew! I almost got stranded in office today. As usual, i was in parking lot, all set to leave after my shift and i wore my gear and put the key in ignition lock and turn, nothing! i thought, lemme try once more and i turn the key again and again there was no display in the digital meter on dashboard of zma. I thought one of fuses would have blown, so set to work on it, removed the helmet and gear and removed the seat and checked the fuses, they were intact, loose contact of fuses i thought and just pressed them again, but still there was no response from the bike! I wanted to check the battery connectors, but i didn't have my toolkit! (I realised that i should have my toolkit back in my bike from my cramster bags!) What else could have gone wrong? I thought my CDI unit could have conked off! But that would mean the bike won't start, but atleast the electricals should work, so i realised it's must be loose contact of some wire somewhere.

Then just happened to check beneath the ignition lock, to my surprise, i found out of the two wires that go from the ignition lock towards the electricals, one wire had got cut! wtf! how could it get cut? I noticed that it had got cut earlier and someone had neatly taped it! I suspect my earlier Herohonda service center chaps to have done that! The contact point of the joint had got loose, so i just twisted both the ends and checked ignition and viola! the electricals work! But the problem was, how to secure the two ends with out any tools, if i turned the handle towards the left side, the electricals failed as the contact points of the wires got loose, that was scary! what would have happened if it had come loose when i was riding the bike! The bike would have stalled and rear wheel locked due to electrical failure and i would have met with a nasty crash! I thanked god that my bike showed me the problem only in the parking lot! Major disaster was averted!

So, I did some desi jugad, messed up my hands and some how from underneath the front faring, managed to secure the two ends of the joint of the wire and used the old tape for insulation, now my task was to ride some 10 kms to SAI Motors with out turning the handlebar towards the left side, else the joint would come loose and i would get stranded! I started my journey, hoping and praying that the bike shouldn't let me down. It was already 8AM by the time i started, so traffic was building up and i managed to crawl initially and later ripped towards the destination. All the while i ensured that my handlebars were straight with minimum turns! I had to turn few times, i prayed each time i had to take a turn!

Finally i managed to reach Sai Motors by 8.45 AM. Showed the bike there to Mr kiran, Thanks to the Saferiding Workshop, which i had attended last month, i got this contact and i thanked my stars that i got a reliable mech to work on my bike and address these issues! Kiran was surprised about how i managed to diagnise the problem! (thanks to the gyaan from biking communities!) Later, he told me that they could either replace the whole Unit (ignition lock/fueltank lid/helmetlock with new set of keys) or tape the same thing after doing some jugaad. I asked them to take a look at wiring once, so they removed the faring, tank and routed the wires properly, joined the two ends of the cut wire securely and taped it after that checked and ensured that the joints don't get stressed due to handlebar movement. Also found that my Fuel guage was behaving erratically, so replaced the float and it was all done!

I thanked him for his patience and working on this issue and reached home at 12.30 PM! Was that some adventure or what! I think i will get the wire checked again with a local mech and use an extra piece of wire to secure the joint properly after coming weekend's ride. Am thanking my stars that i could avert a possible disaster on road!

Needless to say, the toolkit is back in my bike :P

No comments: